Batman: The Killing Joke

Batman: The Killing Joke - Tim Sale, Brian Bolland, Alan Moore "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."-Howard Phillips Lovecraft, Supernatural Horror In Literature Yes, yes, I know. Technically, Joker's origin presented here is supposed to be "multiple choice". That argument would have much more weight if we were presented by some more choices. Why not have Joker try to drive Gordon crazy by making him filter through truth and lies while attempting to figure which story is true instead of making the hack move of stuffing yet another female character into the refrigerator?Let's face it: the main appeal of Joker as a villain are his appearance, that invokes the fear of the clowns, and his grotesque level of insanity. Inhumanity is what makes him scary. I enjoy villains with a cause, but in the case of Joker, I can't see it working out. Besides, while PTSD does happen, even if we dismiss the story presented here as a lie and something more traumatic actually happened, I just cannot see the level of derangement here as anything but inborn disorder. I guess it's another multiple-choice possibility...but like I said, that argument kind of comes off as weak. Some things cannot simply be understood. That which evades our grasp causes more dread than things that we can pin down and dissect. I remember trying to think about borders of the universe when I was younger and I would always begin to feel unplesant after a while. It's not technically scary or anything, but it's simply beyond the limits of human comprehension and it causes discomfort. In my opinion, Joker should be like that.I care even less for Batman's portrayal here. I don't mind troubled heroes. However, the level of "troubled" I'm willing to take for Batman is Nolan's movie trilogy level. Likes of [b:All-Star Batman and Robin|2239435|All-Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder, Vol. 1|Frank Miller|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1348590970s/2239435.jpg|2245283] or this book are too much for my tastes. Now, I did say I liked the new movies, but I'm not overly fond of the "Batman and Joker are two sides of the same coin" theory. Yes, one could argue that masking yourself as a bat does imply shaky grip on the sanity. Yes, I know that popular origin nowadays is that he fell into the cave filled with bats, but older story was that he picked bat as a symbol on the purpose "to strike fear into the hearts of the criminals". Yes, he could be suffering from PTSD. But he doesn't really exhibit any definitive symptoms. He doesn't get triggered. There are different kinds of vigilantism. He was based on Zorro, who in turn was based on [b:The Scarlet Pimpernel|136116|The Scarlet Pimpernel|Emmuska Orczy|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1172075548s/136116.jpg|750426], not lynch mobs. While I normally enjoy a moral dilemma, the analogy here just doesn't work for me.The edition I read also had a short story at the end about some psycho dreaming about killing Batman. I have no idea what is supposed to be its purpose beyond making this even edgier. Yes, superheroes are men of flesh and blood at the end of the day and could be offed by a gunshot in reality. Then why are you writing about them? Go and write about "real people".The only things I liked here are Gordon and technical execution. It's well scripted and drawn. But I don't care for the story proper.