Die Räuber / Kabale und Liebe: Dramen (Fischer Klassik)

Die Räuber / Kabale und Liebe - Friedrich von Schiller I remember liking Die Räuber better than Kabale und Liebe. Ironically, since I generally dislike both melodrama (which it practically started) and Werther (which it is often lumped together with as seminal work of Sturm und Drang). I guess that in the case of melodrama, it's another case of people attempting to follow-up and failing. (See Tolkien and hordes of those who attempted to emulate and failed not-so-spectacularly.) I sometimes think it might be because they take one element - but ignore another without the element in question will not work that well. In this case, many would take the idea of noble outlaw, a man-against-the-world and a clash of personalities - but fail to give them further meaning. The Robbers used this to raise very serious questions of law, morals, individuality, even touching on social problems. Many melodramas will stop at emotional plane. (Not unlike those who focus on Hero's Quest and forget to build the world intricate enough we care for its fate; or, indeed, fail to recognise the world is what the book was really written for, not a few chosen individuals.) Intrigue and Love, while good, was a pretty standard story. And yes, I'm doing it injustice, because it's probably the story those stories that made it "standard" sprung from; but I had the misfortune of reading it later, so it failed to leave an impact.